McLaren MP4-12C: how to build an unimaginative, ugly, and boring supercar.

The McLaren MP4 can do blahblahblahblahblah in blah.blah seconds.  It can reach a top speed of blahblahblahblahblah.  It has technology everywhere, including a blahblahblahblahblahblah….it is the successor to the legendary blahblahblahblahblah.

Don’t even care.  It’s so bland and painfully boring from every angle.  It looks like a rejected 90s build-your-own-supercar-kit-car.  Yeah you copied a Ferrari from the front, you copied the outline of an R8, and you tried add some Lamborghini-ness……BLAH BLAH BLAH.  blech.

Hey McLaren! YOU SUKZ AT DESIGN!  try again sometime…..

Advertisements
Tagged , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

13 thoughts on “McLaren MP4-12C: how to build an unimaginative, ugly, and boring supercar.

1. N1kk3l says:

I disagree 🙂
    I think the proportions are exactly right and in keeping with the tradition of building the car first and styling it later it the best possible way this car could have looked.
    I think this shape will age a lot better than the odd but modern R8 which already starts to look very ugly and boring.

And btw all of the above (a lot of numbers that don’t mean anything and a really ugly shape) can be said about the Veyron you seem to admire.

I really love your blog and it seems taht when it comes to old cars we have exactly the same taste but for the new ones we are worlds apart.
    Strange 🙂

• iedei says:

well you can’t really compare a monster like the Veyron to a little mosquito like the MP4 now, can we man??? 😀

looks are such a subjective thing, bound to be different through different eyes…and i respect that of course! I took almost immediate offense to this McLaren, and I simply cannot agree with you about the R8, which still looks amazing to my eyes!

thanks for the nice words…and thanks for reading! 🙂 At least we have vintage cars to agree on!

2. N1kk3l says:

Not only I agree with you on classic cars but also on almost all of the car culture accessories you show here, like watches gloves etc.
    About comparing Veyron to the Mclaren I didn’t try to compare them I was just saying that I feel the same way as the you do towards the Mc. Blah Blah blah a lot of numbers and no soul.
    About the MP4 I think there is one more thing that is making life more difficult for the designers. The fact that it’s a new brand and what people tend to do with new brands is to compare them to existing cars, since the firm hasn’t established a model line to create a face of it’s own. Like Spyker it was compared to Aston and Ferrari until it made a couple more models and has now established something that is no doubt a Spyker face.
    One more thing Frank Stephenson was brought very late to the MP4 project and the touches he put on the existing car are just magic able to transform what was a really bland design into one that has a lot more character.
    Here is what he had to work with:

All of this is coming from a guy that doesn’t really like Mclaren and find the car company and F1 team a little too sterile and clinic.

3. Colin says:

Esactly!! Freakin U-G-L-Y. I can’t wait to see one on the road to tell the driver that (he) just bought the ugliest car ever.

4. Benjamin says:

What the hell are you going on about? The McLaren MP4 12C can go so fast around your pretty Ferraris that you won’t even be able to make fun of how it looks..

5. David Guerra says:

Looks are indeed subjective… I fell in love with the MP4-12C the first moment I saw it. What the author calls boring I call perfection and beauty of the kind that will stand the test of time. It is precisely the same thing that annoys him that I like, which is perhaps a certain classicism. Not in the sense of conservatism made to appeal to a older clientele, not in the sense of a paste&copy from other designs, but in the sense of designing every feature as if nothing like it had ever been made before. This car really gives me that impression and it actually seems completely original to me, in the sense of being completely purposeful and precise, both structurally and aesthetically…

• Senfield lol says:

I can’t think of a car that’s uglier than the mp4. Uglies like these are ruining the McLaren brand,the old F1 looked so cool, unlike this ugly piece of metal.

6. Georg says:

OMG, you have no idea. This is my absolute dream supercar, and i would take it over ANY other Ferrari, Lamborghini etc… And no, i don’t want the newer 650s and no carbon parts on it.

The 12c features a great design paired with amazing performance.

Say What You Have To Say

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s